Posted by Natalie Layne on Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:04 am
Banned Books Week is this week! September 30th through October 6th
Banned Books Week was started in 1982 in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in schools, bookstores and libraries. More than 11,300 books have been challenged since 1982. The top ten books challenged this year were:
- ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series) by Myracle
- The Color of Earth (series) by Hwa
- The Hunger Games trilogy by Collins
- My Mom’s Having a Baby by Butler
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Alexie
- Alice series by Naylor
- Brave New World by Huxley
- What My Mother Doesn’t Know by Sones
- Gossip Girl series by Von Ziegesar
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Lee
How many have you read?
In the Children’s Room
6 to 8 year-olds are welcome to invited to our Spooky Cupcake Decorating program on Monday, October 15th at 3:30pm in Hunneman Hall at the Main Library. We’ll be crafting our cupcakes to look like monsters, gravestones, ghosts and ghouls! Get ready for a deliciously spooky time! Call, 617-730-2340, with any questions.
Author Annie Barrows is coming to Coolidge Corner! Join us on Wednesday, October 17th at 3:30pm to hear her speak about her newest Ivy + Bean book, Ivy + Bean Make the Rules. She’ll also be answering your questions and signing books! This event is sponsored by the Children’s Book Shop and the Brookline Public Library. Call, 617-730-2380, with any questions.
The first Bestsellers Book Group is right around the corner. Join us at the Main Library on Thursday, October 18th at 3:30pm in the Rabbit Hole for a rollicking discussion and snacks! We’ll be reading Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan. Books are available now, at the Children’s Desk. Call, 617-730-2340, if you plan on joining in on the discussion.
In the U.S.
The Presidential Election is only 5 weeks away! Learn all about it with some of these titles, available now, at your Library!
- See How They Run by Goodman
- Running for Office by Donovan
- Vote! by Christelow
- So You Want to be President? by St. George
- The Presidency by Horn
- Our White House
- Today on Election Day by Stier
- How Do We Elect Our Leaders? by Thomas
Happy reading, Brookline! Hope to see you soon!
Tags: | Permalink