ESL Conversation Groups
会話のグループ | 대화 그룹 | Разговорная речь | 交谈小组 | Grupos de la Conversación
The Friends of the Brookline Public Library sponsors free conversation groups. These English Conversation Groups are for adults who speak English as a Second Language. We focus on practical, everyday topics. If you are a non-native English speaker who wants to have fun and meet people from all over the world while practicing your spoken English, then this is the place for you. No need to pre-register or signup. Just show up*.
* Currently, the Putterham class is full and we ask those who have never attended before to wait a few weeks. As soon as we can accept new attendees, we will post that here.
Fall 2013 schedule: 7pm on Tuesdays at the Main Library (9/10-12/17). Thu 10:30 AM at Coolidge and Putterham (9/12-12/19).
Lotusland: An English Literature Class for ESL Learners
Fall 2013 schedule: First and third Wednesdays of each month from 5:00-7:00 PM in Main Library, Children's Room, Rabbit Hole.
- Intermediate Understanding of the English Language
- Love to Read
- This course is designed for learners of English as a Second Language who wish to advance their language skills through exploring English Literature in a non-conventional environment.
- This course is not an appropriate substitute for a conventional ESL class, and may not be suitable for students who do not already enjoy reading literature in their native language.
- The joy of reading and the power of stories are two fundamental components of this course. Our main focus will be on how the language is used to convey emotional, social, and political messages, as we explore the work of literary masters.
- The primary source of readings that students are required to purchase will be The Oxford Book of American Short Stories edited by Joyce Carol Oates. We will also explore English poetry and essays when the occasions arise.
- Each session runs for 90 minutes or longer, if needed. In the case of the cancellation of a session, students will be notified.
Admission is free.