How Do I Get a Library Card?
Print application at home
You can save some time on your first visit by filling out one of our application forms in advance, printing it out, and bringing it with you.
Register online for a temporary card
Fill out the form here, then head to your local Minuteman library to complete your registration.
Do I need a card?
If you already have a Minuteman Library Network library card, perhaps issued by another Minuteman library, you can use it here. Only a few of our services, such as the loaning of museum passes, are restricted to Brookline residents.
If you have a card from a non-Minuteman Massachusetts library, you will still need a Minuteman library card to use our library.
Who can get a card?
- Massachusetts residents
- Town of Brookline employees
- Brookline public or private school students
- Owners of property in Brookline
- Out of state residents
Where can I get a card?
- Any of the three Brookline Library locations
- Any library in the Minuteman network
What do I need to bring with me to get a card?
Photo ID with current address
- MA driver’s license or
- Massachusetts state identification card
If your photo ID does not have your current address on it, please bring along one document from each of the following two sections:
- Photo identification (current or expired)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including:
- FID card
- University or school ID
- Proof of current local address (must include your name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days)
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a:
- Social service provider
- Temporary employer that provides housing
- Short-term residence
- Postcard mailed to applicant from the library
Not acceptable as proof of current address:
- Lease agreements
- Rent receipts
- Personal letters
- Post Office Box
- Business address
Cards for children
Ages 3 to 12:
- A parent or guardian must be present
- Parent/guardian signature
- Parent/guardian must have photo ID and proof of address
Ages 13 – 17:
- Student ID accepted if we can verify address with school directory list
- If not listed in school directory, parent/guardian must present ID in-person
Organized school visits:
- Previously signed application form for child
- Address verification with school directory list
Residents of decertified municipalities
The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to deny library services to residents from any municipality whose public library has been decertified by the MBLC (Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners).