Online Storytimes, Resources, and Activities for Youth
Explore this list of online storytimes, resources, and activities compiled by Youth Services staff.
Updated April 1, 2020.
- Circle Round: A podcast that adapts carefully-selected folktales from around the world into sound- and music-rich radio plays for kids ages 4 to 10.
- Flannel Boards for Circle Time: Popular storytime felt stories.
- KidLit TV: This site features author storytimes, drawing lessons led by famous illustrators, and more!
- Language Sprout: Free daily storytimes, activities and games in Spanish, French, Mandarin, English, Portuguese for all ages.
- Operation Storytime: A search for #OperationStoryTime on YouTube brings you videos of some favorite authors reading their own books!
- Shark Story Hour: The Atlantic White Shark Conservatory in MA hosts a free live stream on Facebook, daily at 10 AM EST.
- Spanish Children’s Stories: Listen to children’s stories translated into Spanish and spoken by a native Spanish speaker.
- Story Pirates: A storytelling podcast.
- Story Preservation Initiative: Register for a free account to access original, age-appropriate fiction and nonfiction audio stories.
- Storytime From Space: Astronauts at the International Space Station reading stories.
- Storyline Online: Celebrated authors reading children’s books.
- Tell Me A Story: Storytime songs and fingerplays by the King County Library System in Washington.
Author, Illustrator, and Performer Videos
- 123 Andrés: Interactive music and stories for kids and families teaching Spanish and Latin American culture.
- Kwame Alexander: The author reads his novel-in-verse The Crossover every day at 10:30 AM EST on his Instagram @kwamealexander.
- Tom Angleberger: Origami, drawing, and more.
- Authors Everywhere: Workshops, readings, and activities from your favorite children’s book writers and illustrators.
- Mac Barnett: The author/illustrator Mac Barnett is hosting daily read-alouds on Instagram Live at @macbarnett
- Laurie Berkner Band: Every weekday a song will be posted on their Facebook page at 7 AM, 3 PM, and 7 PM EST. You can also watch LIVE at 10 AM EST.
- Levar Burton Reads: Hear stories read by Levar Burton on his Twitter livestream. Kids stories will be read Mondays at noon EST; YA stories on Wednesdays at 3 PM EST; and adult stories on Fridays at 9 PM EST.
- Eric Carle: The author reads The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Neil Gaiman: The author reads The Graveyard Book read in a series of videos at his site for young readers, the Mouse Circus.
- Jarrett J. Krosoczka: Draw Everyday with Jarrett J. Krosoczka.
- Grace Lin: The author reads selections from her books and teaches a lesson on how to draw a Chinese dragon.
- Kate Messner: Reading and Learning Resources.
- George O’Connor: Art demonstrations, tutorials, and a Q&A with the creator of the Olympians graphic novel series live daily on Instagram at @thegeorgeoconnor.
- Jerry Pallotta: The author of the Who Would Win? books, reads the series aloud on YouTube.
- Dolly Parton: Join the legendary performer for a goodnight storytime at 7 PM EST hosted at her Imagination Library’s YouTube channel.
- Pete the Cat Storytimes on Instagram Live.
- Dav Pilkey: Join the Dog Man creator for drawing lessons, read aloud, and more engaging resources. Published every Friday at 8 AM EST in partnership with the Library of Congress.
- Jerry Pinkney: The author reads I Want to Be.
- Mo Willems: Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems courtesy of The Kennedy Center.
- Kelly Yang: The author of Front Desk is giving free writing classes for teens 3 PM EST every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on her Instagram live at @kellyyanghk.
Virtual Tours and Activities
- DC Kids Camp: Videos and comics tutorials on Twitter at @DCComicsKids and Instagram at @dckids.
- GoNoodle: Movement and mindfulness videos for kids.
- Harry Potter: A History of Magic: Visit this in-depth exhibit virtually courtesy of the British Library.
- International Children’s Book Library: Read more than 4,500 free books in 61 languages.
- International Library Virtual Tours: Tour eight libraries from around the world from the comfort of your own home.
- Museum Virtual Tours
- NASA Kids Club
- NASA Video and Image Library: Searchable with over 140,000 images and videos.
- New England Aquarium
- San Diego Zoo: Animal cams.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Educational activities for preschoolers through middle schoolers.
- Visit Mars