About the Teen Room
The Teen Room at the Brookline Village Library and the Teen Zone at the Coolidge Corner Library are spaces entirely devoted to teens: the collections, the diner booth, the comfy chairs – it’s all for our local teens!
Our Teen Librarian is in the Teen Room every week day after 2pm in the afternoon. If you don’t see her, please ask at the Children’s Room or Tween Desk for help.Meet the Teen Librarian
Rules of the room
Teens going into 8th-12th grades are welcome in the Teen Room.
During the times school is not in session, we keep the room exclusively for teens. Adults and younger people are allowed to come in and look for a book, but the hang out space is teens only.
You may hang out in the teen room and enjoy all it has to offer if you:
- Respect everyone: Be kind to everyone including staff and other patrons. Take care of the library, our space, and anything belonging to others.
- Keep your hands to yourself: No rough-housing, pushing, shoving, or excessive cuddling.
- Think before you speak: watch your language. If you mean it as an insult, don’t say it.
- Check your volume: Keep talking to a normal level. When playing audio or talking on your phone, the same rule applies.
- Snacks and covered drinks are ok: Foods that are hot, greasy, noisy, or smelly (including greasy foods like pizza or french fries, ore sticky like ice cream) are not allowed.
- Clean up: Part of the dea lof being able to use this space is that everyone cleans up trash and spills. It doesn’t matter whose it is: if you see trash, throw it away.
- Sit wisely: use chairs and tables for their intended purpose. Please don’t sit on tables or stand on chairs.
- Younger siblings: Children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult. Teens may not be responsible for a sibling younger than 9 years old.
- Silence ringers and speak quietly when on your phone.
- Watch your stuff: do not leave bags, laptops, phones, or valuables unattended.
- Park your games and transport: All transportation (scooters, skateboards, etc.) and sports equipment (basketballs, soccer balls, hockey sticks, etc.) should be parked in our posted parking area (near the elevator.) If you are concerned about leaving it out of your sight, as a staff person to keep it behind the Teen Room desk. Pick it up when you head back outside.
If you do not follow these rules you may be asked to leave the library.
Currently we do not have any positions open for teen (ages 13-18) volunteers. If we do have any positions available, we will post them here.