Join the Girls Who Code Movement
Volunteer to teach a Girls Who Code Club in Brookline!
We are currently recruiting volunteer instructors for our 2016-2017 Girls Who Code clubs here at the Public Library of Brookline.
Volunteers are at the core of the Girls Who Code movement and make CS education possible for thousands of girls nationwide. Through practical application of the GWC curriculum and your technical experience, we can empower and equip one million girls by 2020 with the skills they need to pursue careers in STEM.
About Girls Who Code Clubs
Girls Who Code Clubs is a uniquely scalable program bringing high-quality computer science education to 6th–12th grade girls nationwide. Clubs meet after school and on weekends throughout the year in classrooms, libraries, community centers, and local universities. Employing a flexible and proven curriculum, instructors equip girls with concrete technical skills that will provide the foundation for futures in technology.
As an instructor you will have the chance to:
- Expose girls in underserved areas to a comprehensive and unique CS education
- Empower young women in CS and help transform tech into a better, more inclusive industry
- Develop powerful leadership skills while positively impacting your community
- Interact with large tech companies and industry leaders through field trips and guest speakers
- Join a community of professionals and students who are passionate about gender parity
- Proficient in at least one backend programming language
- Intermediate knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Some experience working with youth preferred but not required
- Ability to pass a background screening
- Commitment to volunteer 2–3 hours per week
The Girls Who Code Curriculum
The Girls Who Code Clubs program centers around a fun, collaborative, 40-hour Clubs curriculum designed to teach a wide range of skill sets through multilevel content. Project-based modules include graphic art, video game design, mobile app development, and cryptography, and culminate in a final project of the girl’s choosing that will benefit her community
- Online training: classroom management and curriculum implementation
- Volunteer Forum: connect to an interactive community of volunteers
- GWC Curriculum Director: available for weekly office hours
- GWC Program Manager: assigned to each Club for ongoing check-ins
- Club Faculty Advisors: there to assist you with general classroom management